We are pleased to inform you that the 34th Annual Global Youth Service Day is April 29 - May 1, 2022. GYSD is the largest youth service and civic action event in the world and the only one that celebrates and asks all young people ages 5-25 to help our communities and democracy thrive by working together for the common good.
The third of our three goals for this year's GYSD is to help democracy thrive by registering and educating new young voters. ~4 million people turn 18 each year and become eligible to vote. GYSD is partner of When We All Vote’s campaign to recruit 100,000 volunteers who will register more than one million new voters in 2022. Here are 3 types of suggested activities:
Voter Registration Activities
- Register to vote or check your registration status at weall.vote/ysa.
- K-12 Schools: Make your school a civic engagement and voter registration hub with My School Votes. Rock the Vote, League of Women Voters, Learning for Justice, and The Civics Center also have voter registration resources for high schools.
- Higher Ed Institutions: Connect with Students Learn Students Vote, the All In Campus Democracy Challenge, CampusVote Project, Ask Every Student, NSLVE, or Civic Influencers.
Voter Education Activities
- Create your own nonpartisan voter guides.
- Check out Rock the Vote’s Democracy Class, Teaching for Democracy Alliance, iCivics Election Headquarters, Learning to Give, Learning for Justice, GenerationCitizen, and Civic Influencers for civic education activities to help educate new and future voters.
Issue Advocacy Activities
- Organize a Community Dialogue About an Issue
- Develop a Policy Proposal & Advocacy Campaign
- Create Media and Become a Citizen or Student Journalist
- Connect with Local Public Officials
- Volunteer with a Local Campaign or Run for Office Yourself
Find ideas and planning tools at YSA.org/GYSD. If you register a project/activity by April 28, post a picture or video on any social media platform using #GYSD22, and submit an impact report by May 20, you will be eligible to be selected for a $100 or $250 GYSD Award supported by The Allstate Foundation for a future project.